Friday, January 23, 2009

Waiting PATIENTLY

I have been waiting, but not patiently, for Boston to be born. In Latin, the root word of patience "pati" means “to suffer.” The Greek word “hupomone,” which is often translated as “patience” in the New Testament, means “cheerful or hopeful endurance.” That is my aim for the rest of this pregnancy. As I wrote in the November 13 entry, Dr. Blowey wants Boston to stay in utero as long as possible because my kidneys keep him healthy and allow him to grow without putting any strain on his little body. If there is not a significant medical reason for him to come, then just we should wait on him. I didn’t realize at the time how tempting an elective induction would be. With his size and all of his extra fluid, I am SO uncomfortable. Noticeably uncomfortable. Uncomfortable to the point of pain and tears.

I read in Ecclesiastes 7:8 today that “Finishing is better than starting; patience is better than pride.” It made me realize that as much as I am eager to start Boston’s life, it is better to finish this pregnancy with a strong and valiant spirit, with “cheerful and hopeful endurance.” Many verses in the Old Testament talk about waiting patiently. Psalm 40:1 says “I waited patiently for the Lord to help me and he turned to me and heard my cry.” Psalm 27:14 says “Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.”

This is definitely an area where prayer would be appreciated. I want to be filled with the calm and peaceful assurance that God has determined all the days of Boston’s life, including the day he is to born. In the first chapter of Colossians, Paul is outlining all the prayers that he has for the church in Colossae. He closes that section of the chapter with this message: “We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father.” That is my prayer: that I will be strengthened with all of God’s glorious power so I will have all the endurance and patience I need.

1 comment:

The Chance Family said...

Sarah, that is such a neat perspective and unselfish way of thinking about the end of pregnancy. Thank you for that honest & fresh insight. by the way, we had dr. blowey too and thought he was wonderful in his diagnosis and treatments for Logan. Prayers for you and yours!!!!

Shauna