Monday, January 12, 2009

The Importance of Being Earnest

I am a go-getter, an information seeker. I like to know things for myself firsthand. As a result, I have done a lot of my own research on Boston's condition. Some may call this overkill, but for me, I feel it is necessary to make sure that I am doing everything I can to be a good mom for Boston.

I received a benefit from my overzealous pursuit of information last week when I found out that Boston's kidneys had been "bright" again on his November ultrasound, a fact that the doctor's failed to tell us. I requested copies of my ultrasound reports to send to the doctor's at Children's Mercy and as I was reviewing them, I saw that on his November ultrasound, the doctor had reported that his kidneys were large and "mildly echogeneic." Echogeneic means that there are more sound waves (echos) in that area, resulting in the area looking bright. I was shocked when I read this, because I always ask lots of questions during our ultrasounds and the impression that I got from the doctor was that everything was fine during our November ultrasound.

We have had another sonogram since then, and the ultrasound report from that sonogram reported that Boston's kidneys looked normal.

The two things I took away from this experience were:

1) We have thought that Boston's kidneys looked normal since his September sonogram; now we know that is not true: they were bright in November.

2) I need to make sure that the doctors are giving me all of the information, even if that means reviewing my chart after every visit.

No comments: